A key element to our BioSphere, our BioActive sand has been "cooked" in our proprietary equipment to cultivate the two key bacteria in the Aquatic Nitrogen Cycle: nitrosomonas and nitrobacter.
Aquatic Nitrogen Cycle:
- Nitrosomonas convert the Ammonium (NH4+) / Ammonia (NH3+) from animal waste, left-over food decay and plant decay into Nitrites (NO2-).
- Nitrobacter convert the Nitrites (NO2-) into Nitrates (NO3-).
- Nitrates are plant fertilizer! We encourage the use of aquatic plants to naturally convert the naturally manage your Nitrates. Nitrates are also removed with water changes.
- See our video about this key element of our BioSpheres.
This quality, natural sand is proven to work well in aquariums. It does not affect the pH and does not introduce any harmful elements.
We have extensive research "tuning" our BioSpheres (up to 2 Gallons) with multiple African Dwarf Frogs using our BioActive sand to ensure an abundance of bacteria. We have not found similar research on larger enclosures or with other critters.
THIS IS A LIVE PRODUCT.
Shipping for live product either requires:
- insulated, express delivery or
- ground delivery - dependent on the weather (which could be weeks or months)
Included with this order: (1) one-pound bag of sand to replace sand in the one gallon size tank - Sand is shipped ground unless expedited shipping is selected.